Friday, September 9, 2016

Field Trip: Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches

Grade school students aren't the only ones who take field trips. I do my share, too - though I'm not visiting the zoo or the science museum.

Instead, I'm carting meals to the field. Nothing says "fine dining" like a meal spread out on a car trunk. (I am willing to bring collapsible chairs to the "party," but Randy prefers to stand up after sitting in the combine or tractor.)

Around here, wheat harvest time requires the most "field trips" - sometimes two a day. So it's always nice to find another meal to add to the harvest rotation - or any time I need to take a portable meal to the guys, whether they're working ground or cutting fall crops.
For these sandwiches, I started with a recipe of Slow Cooker Beef and Vegetables. I love using my Crock Pot during the hot days of summer, since it helps keep the kitchen cool and still produces a hot meal. But, honestly, I like using my slow cooker anytime: Get the ingredients gathered and going and then don't think about it for several hours!

Before I added the vegetables to the slow cooker for the last 30 minutes of cooking, I pulled some of the beef and broth. I thought the meat would be perfect for a second harvest meal - Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches. And the guys raved about them. After that, these sandwiches definitely went on the meals-to-the-field list.

I cut up two peppers (I used one whole red, 1/2 orange and 1/2 yellow, but you could also use green) into thin strips, then added a sliced sweet onion to a large nonstick skillet. I sprayed with cooking spray and just let the veggies caramelize in the pan over medium-high heat. When they started sticking, I just added a little water and continued cooking until the veggies were tender.

To prepare the hoagie buns, I split them and buttered the inside. Then I sprinkled with Swiss cheese. (You can use mozzarella or provolone as well.) I put it under the broiler until the buns and cheese were toasty.

After the vegetables were done, I added the beef to the skillet to heat back through. After putting the meat and veggie mixture on the prepared buns, I sprinkled with additional cheese and stuck the meat-and-cheese-covered sandwich bottoms back under the broiler until the cheese was nice and bubbly.

One slow cooker recipe = two delicious meals = two satisfied customers!
Kansas Farm Wife's Philly Cheesesteaks
Beef and broth from Easy Beef & Vegetables Slow Cooker recipe
1 large red pepper
1 large yellow pepper (or 1/2 yellow and 1/2 orange. Can also use green)
1 large sweet onion
Provolone, mozzarella or Swiss cheese - sliced or shredded
Hoagie buns
Butter

Thinly slice the peppers and onion and put in a large non-stick skillet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Cook until the vegetables are tender. If they start to burn, add a little water and continue cooking until softened to taste.

Add the beef and broth and heat until warmed.

Split the hoagie buns. Butter, then sprinkle with cheese. Put under broiler until the cheese is bubbly and the bun edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven.

On the bottom bun, spoon a portion of the beef and vegetable mixture. Top with additional cheese. Put back under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Top with the top bun and serve.

If you're taking them to the field, wrap in aluminum foil and put them in a thermal container so they stay hot for delivery. Add fruit, homemade cookies, homemade pasta salad, chips or any other accompaniments you prefer.

Click here for the pasta salad you see in the above photo.

Click here for the cookie recipe.

***
Today, I'm linked to Weekend Potluck, hosted by these bloggers. Check out the tried-and-true recipes from them and other foodies!

6 comments:

  1. I bet they didn't last long. Looks so appetising !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, they look amazing!!
    Just curious...have you used/seen the "fix it and forget it" slow cooker cookbooks? I've been testing recipes for them for years, and they've got some great recipes in them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have given a few as gifts, but I don't have one myself. I will have to check into it.

      Delete
  3. Boy oh boy oh boy! I bet those sammies are mighty tasty. So happy you shared with us at Weekend Potluck. Keep 'em comin - please!

    ReplyDelete